Blog

Second Annual Family Day and Softball Tournament

i Jun 26th l 2 Comments 3 by Dunes Center

main photo

For eight-year-old best friends Cody and Braylen, attending the Dunes Center’s second annual Family Day and Softball Tournament was quite an adventure.

Not only did the boys have a coyote’s footprint painted on their faces by skillful 16-year-old volunteer Iliana Gonzales, they also successfully talked adults into having them as extra fielders for the softball game. (more…)

15 Years of Service

i May 29th l No Comments 3 by Dunes Center

Dune Drawing700x3002014 marks the Dunes Center’s fifteenth year of serving the Central Coast with high quality nature education programming. What started as an idea in the minds of concerned citizens has blossomed into a successful organization that provides educational opportunities to thousands of people each year. The Dunes Center is proof that your ideas can make a huge impact in the community! (more…)

Spring Field Trips In the Dunes

i May 20th l No Comments 3 by Dunes Center

Jules Leading Students 201405Spring has been packed with field trips to Oso Flaco Lake. On these field trips, students explore various habitats; from plants in the riparian causeway, to unique birds on the lake, and even life on the beach. (more…)

Dunes In Bloom: California Barberry

i May 9th l No Comments 3 by Dunes Center

barberry 4 700x300This month we are highlighting the California Barberry(Berberis pinnata Lagasca). The California Barberry grows along rocky slopes and coastal bluffs in the coastal scrub, chaparral, woodlands and forests below 4000 ft. It can be found as far north as Oregon and as far south as Baja California. (more…)

Orchid Show is Huge Success!

i May 9th l No Comments 3 by Dunes Center

IMG_1782 cropped700x300The Dunes Center was again honored this year as the benefactor for the Central Coast Orchid Show hosted by the Five Cities Orchid Society. Friday night, Dunes Center supporters and orchid enthusiasts join to get the first look of the orchid show and raise money for the Dunes Center. Preview benefit attendees were welcomed by Moses and his sphinx as they walked into the Hollywood inspired evening. An enticing silent auction and delicious food made the night a glowing success. (more…)

Images of America: Guadalupe Released!

i Apr 4th l Comments Off 3 by Dunes Center

DSC_0284700x300The long awaited, Images of America: Guadalupe was released this past Saturday at the Dunes Center. A reception was held for local residents and community members to get their copy signed by author and Executive Director, Doug Jenzen. Authors of the Images of America books for the cities of Avila Beach, Grover Beach, and Pismo Beach were also in attendance sign their books. (more…)